Tuesday, May 15

Banana Chocolate Chip Coffe Cake


Is there anything better than a sweet, crumbly and cinnamony streusel topping? A few weeks ago, I would have said no. Until I made this incredibly delicious banana coffee cake and added chocolate chips to an already amazing crumble. I absolutely adore banana bread, and I always have bananas on hand. Unfortunately, my bananas like to turn brown way faster than I can manage to eat them all, especially in the warmer months. It's just as well though, because overripe bananas mean it's time to do some baking and there's nothing wrong with that! But I have to say, as much as I love classic banana bread, I'm pretty tired of it. I wanted something new and interesting and an even better reason to convince myself that coffee cake is a perfectly acceptable breakfast food. Okay, so maybe this is way better as an afternoon indulgence or a sweet after dinner treat. It is VERY chocolately. Make sure to have some almond milk on hand. Or better yet, my Raw Vanilla Cashew Milk. There's nothing wrong with that either!
This is the crumb topping that I refused to put nuts in. Because that would ruin it. Unless you love nuts, in which case, add whatever you like and ignore what I said about it being ruined.
The batter is very thick and sticky, which is good because it will hold it's layers when you spread it into the pan.
How could you even resist this?? It has an amazing trio of flavors combining your favorite classic moist coffee cake with banana, chocolate and cinnamon. In fact, it has an almost 'Mexican Chocolate' flair to it, like a tall cup of Abuelita Hot Cocoa. Mmmmm. 

Banana Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
Adapted from Epicurious.com
Batter:
1 1/2 C all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 C sugar
1 stick butter, softened
1 egg
3 bananas, overripe and mashed
3 T buttermilk

Butter and flour an 8 x 8 baking dish. 
Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the egg, buttermilk and bananas. In a smaller bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Carefully add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir just until combined. 

Streusel Topping:
1 1/4 C chocolate chips (I prefer semi-sweet)
2/3 C brown sugar
1/2 C whole oats
1 T cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix. Pour 1/2 of the coffee cake batter into the pan. Sprinkle half of the streusel over the batter. Carefully spread the remaining batter into the pan, and sprinkle evenly with the remaining streusel. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Or covered in melted chocolate. 

Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis