Friday, May 25

Happy National Wine Day!

Well, is this the best food holiday to celebrate or what?! I couldn't think of a better reason to go out and buy that bottle of wine you've been eyeing than it being National Wine Day. Okay, maybe there's a better reason, like it's your anniversary or something, but this comes pretty close! In honor of this day, I thought I'd share a few of the wines that I love to sip over and over again.

RED
Our household tends to favor red wine over white. It goes well with so many different meals and is the greatest accompaniment to cheese that I know. And we love cheese.
Please try anything made by Tobin James. Seriously, this Paso Robles, California winery is one of my all time favorites. If you are ever able to visit the Saloon-style tasting room, you will have a blast! The people are fantastic and the wines are to die for. Try the James Gang Reserve Cabernet Franc or the Ballistic Zinfandel and you will be hooked! On top of it, the prices are extremely reasonable for such a high quality product.
J. Lohr is another fantastic wine to try. This brand is widely available in most markets and I haven't had one that I didn't like. They have a great Pinot Noir as well as a "Seven Oaks" Cabernet Sauvignon that is delicious.

WHITE
Since we don't drink a lot of whites, I tend to have half empty bottles left hanging around. I love to keep a good, dry chardonnay in the fridge not just for sipping, but also for cooking.
One of the best I've had in a while is the Gary Farrell 2008 Carneros Chardonnay. It's light and crisp with a hint of sweetness and let me tell you, it makes an amazing white wine and mushroom sauce.

If you like sauvignon blanc, or interesting white blends, try another Paso Robles wine I love, Vina Robles. They have very straightforward and easy to please whites that are clean and simple, yet unique. Most of the blends they carry are varietals that I have never even heard of! It's always fun to try something new.

DESSERT
I have to go back to Tobin James for this one. The Liquid Love is absolutely ridiculous. Just buy it. And then buy a dark chocolate bar. And then have them together. You'll see.

Some time back we discovered Chaucers, who used to make a delightful and fruity Ollalieberry dessert wine. I haven't been able to find it in quite some time, but now they sell a Blackberry version that is just as good. It doesn't matter which flavor you are able to find, both are kind of like having a piece of pie, just boozier.

Most if not all of these wines are available at large liquor chains like BevMo or Total Wine, otherwise, you can find them on the websites I've linked to above.

Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis