Monday, May 7

Banana Kale Colada Smoothie

Summer is around the corner and warmer days means cooler food. There's a fantastic juice bar in my neighborhood that I often stop into for a delicious fresh pressed beverage or blended smoothie to cool me off. Recently, I tried one of their signature shakes and was shocked at how yummy and filling it was. Unfortunately, the other thing that shocked me was the price. I love eating healthy and I totally think it's worth the extra cost most of the time, but some things are just too easy to recreate at home and save me seven bucks.
 So, the day after I had visited the juice bar, I put together my own version based on what I knew was in the smoothie from the menu. I pulled together a few things I had on hand, as seen above, and voilĂ ...
The perfect recreation in all it's green, bubbly glory. This smoothie was so delicious, quick and easy and it's seriously good for you. If you want to have it as a meal, throw in some protein powder or any meal replacement powder of your choice that is flavorless. Most of the items I used to make this drink are available at Trader Joe's, but you can certainly find them at any well stocked market or health food store. 
With tropical flavors like banana, coconut and pineapple, it's only fitting to drink this bad boy out of one of these right? 
Yep, totally.

Banana Kale Colada Smoothie
3/4 C unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 C coconut water (you can add more if the smoothie is too thick)
1 ripe banana
a large handful of chopped kale
1/3 C frozen pineapple bits
ice (optional)

Pour the coconut milk and water into a blender first, followed by the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth and Kale is thoroughly mixed in. You could also add chia or flax seeds for another healthy boost.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis