Wednesday, April 25

Raw Vanilla Cashew Milk

I've been on a little break for the past few days...but I have a really good excuse! It's my birthday week and I spent this last weekend in one of my very favorite places to visit, Las Vegas. I have so many fun things to share about the trip from what I ate, to where we stayed. So get ready to go traveling with me over the next few weeks. 

For now, let's get back to the kitchen and discuss how easy it is to make your own nut milk. It's crazy simple and crazy delicious! The closest thing, flavor-wise, to my version of cashew milk is the mexican rice drink, horchata. If you like that, you will LOVE this, and the great part is, this is waaaaaaaaaay healthier. There is zero unnatural sugar in this recipe, yet the milk is so creamy and sweet, it makes you want to ditch the cookies and have cashew milk for dessert instead.
This pretty much looks like a Science Fair project...don't be scared. First you soak the nuts in water. I did it in my blender to cut down on dishes. After 8 hours or so, blend it up until all of the nuts are ground really fine.
Next, strain the milk over cheese cloth to remove the cashew 'sand'. You are welcome to leave it as is, but taste it to make sure you like the texture first. Me, not so much. I want it smooth and sand free.
 Looks just like regular milk, but tastes way better and you made it! I thought it was absolutely delicious on its own, but then I put it in my coffee and was amazed at how good it was, a great alternative to high calorie creamers. Use it in your morning bowl of cereal or even a healthy banana smoothie. It will stay good in the fridge for a few days, you'll know it's past it's prime if it has a more bitter/sour taste. I've read that you can use the cashew pulp as a spread on toast or in baked goods. I haven't tried that yet myself, but I plan to :).

Raw Cashew Milk
Adapted from ChoosingRaw.com
1 C raw, unsalted cashews
4 C filtered water
3-4 raw, pitted dates, chopped roughly
1/2-1 tsp. ground cinnamon 
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt

In a blender, combine the cashews and water. Let soak for at least a few hours or up to overnight.

Add the dates, spices and vanilla and blend until all of the nuts are ground up very fine. This may take a few minutes. Once blended, you may either leave it as is, if you like the consistency, or strain it. You can also add more of the flavorings if you'd like.

To strain it, place a cheesecloth over the pitcher you plan on using to serve the milk in. You may also do this in a large bowl or tupperware. Affix the cheesecloth with a rubber band and carefully pour the cashew milk into the container in intervals. Be aware that the cashew pulp is very thick and can easily spill over. You want the cheesecloth to be deep enough to hold all of that 'sand'. Once you have poured all of the milk through, allow it to sit for a few more hours until the ground nuts are dry and resemble broken ground. Remove the cheesecloth and either save the pulp for another purpose, or toss it out. Keep the milk refrigerated for about 3 days.

Enjoy!






















No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis