Friday, April 13

Spring Pea Hummus

In general, I greatly dislike peas. I'm certainly not a picky eater and they're a perfectly fine vegetable. I just have never been able to wrap my tastebuds around them. Until now. 
It's April, the month of Peas over at Seasonal Potluck.com and as I was thinking of a recipe I wanted to share, I realized I didn't even have one that I knowingly would include peas in. And then I had an epiphany...hummus. I love hummus. And if you can make edamame hummus, why not pea hummus? Guess what...it's green, it's smooth and it's absolutely delicious.
This is a much sweeter tasting dip than traditional hummus, but still has that same delightful garlic/lemon/tahini flavor layer just underneath. Not to mention, it's incredibly healthy.
I loved this with some herbed pita chips, but it would be great with crudité or naan. I'm even thinking this might make it's way into a grilled cheese sandwich sooner than later.

Spring Pea Hummus
1/2 a small bag of frozen peas (you can use fresh too, when they are in season)
3 T tahini (puree of sesame seeds that can be found in the international section of the market)
3 garlic cloves, peeled
about 2-3 T olive oil, depending on the thickness desired
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1-11/2 tsp. salt to taste
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. paprika

Cook the frozen or fresh peas according to package directions. Drain and let cool for 10-15 minutes.
In a small food processor or blender, combine peas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Blend until ingredients begin to combine and get smooth. Through the top of the lid, with your processor or blender still running, stream in the olive oil. Stop and check for consistency and salt. If the hummus is too thick, add a bit more oil, and if you like more salt, add that too. Add the pepper and paprika and process once more. I like to top mine with a dash more of paprika and a few peas...just so everyone knows what they are about to eat :).

Serve immediately or store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to a week.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis