Friday, April 6

Blackened Swordfish

The other day I posted the recipe for Homemade Blackened Seasoning, so I thought I'd share what I actually did with it. I found some really nice wild caught Swordfish at the market and since my husband is not usually a huge fan of fish, I like to really pump up the flavors with lots of herbs and spices.
This is the blend I made from a bunch of spices I already had in my kitchen.
I coated each side of the fish generously with the seasoning. This was a pretty thick piece, so I coated it all the way around the edges as well. Feel free to use whatever sort of fish you find fresh or like better. This would work great with Mahi Mahi, Halibut or even Salmon.
Once cooked, you want the fish to have an almost 'burnt' look as this is blackened seasoning. Don't worry, it doesn't taste overdone at all, it just gives the fish a delicious, flavorful crust. 

Blackened Swordfish
Fresh or thawed Fish of your choice
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. butter

Pat the fish completely dry with paper towels. On a large plate or in a large dish, coat each side of the fish with the seasoning, pressing it into the flesh. 

Heat a non stick skillet or griddle to med-high heat. The pan needs to be very hot and preheated to sear the fish right away. Put the oil and butter in the pan together just before setting the fish in. Place the fish in the pan and do not move it. Let it sear and begin to cook through. The cooking time will vary greatly depending on the thickness of your fish. My swordfish took about 5-6 minutes per side, but a thinner piece might only take 3-4. Fish is done cooking when it flakes apart easily and is opaque throughout. 

This is a very healthy technique of cooking and serving this with just a side of vegetables would be a lovely dinner if you are watching your weight. I served my blackened swordfish with steamed broccoli and Mac 'n Cheese. Obviously, I went the slightly more indulgent route :).

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis