Friday, March 23

"Grilled" Vegetable Kebabs

I fully intended to grill these kebabs...on a real BBQ, in my backyard. It's Springtime after all and the time change means I actually can see what I'm doing rather than trying to hold a flashlight over the flames while attempting to flip my food.

But then it got cold...and windy...and I wimped out. So, I did the the next best thing, and I'm positive you would never be able to tell that these kebabs weren't done on an open fire. This is a super easy, weather proof, 2-step process that you can do with any Veggies that you like.
I chopped up all of my chosen vegetables into big chunks and threw them in a large bowl with some olive oil, herbs, and seasonings. 
Then I strung them all along a few wooden skewers...in no particular order, just whatever felt right...plus a few stragglers.
Then I started the 2-step cooking process. First, I seared them on both sides on a hot grill pan coated in vegetable oil. Next, I stuck them underneath the broiler of my oven to char up the edges and give them that "open flame" taste.
They came out perfect! Tender, flavorful and crispy on the edges. I served them with Jasmine Rice, a nice Greek salad and some hummus. Delicious and so healthy!!

Grilled Vegetable Kebabs
serves 2-3
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
6 Cremini Mushrooms, halved
1 medium Zucchini, sliced
1 medium Onion, chopped
about 12 cherry or grape tomatoes
2-3 T Olive oil
1 tsp. paprika
1/2-1 tsp. Lawry's Seasoning Salt (depending on your taste)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Heat a stove top grill pan brushed with about a tsp. of vegetable oil over medium high heat.

Prepare all vegetables and place in a large bowl. Top with olive oil and all herbs and seasonings. Carefully stir the veggies to coat. String each vegetable onto a skewer. Place each skewer onto the grill pan, flipping after about 3 minutes or when grill marks begin to appear. Grill another 2-3 minutes, then place on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. If you are using wooden skewers, you can wrap the ends of each one with foil to prevent burning if your broiler gets too hot. Mine were just fine and didn't need this step.

Turn the broiler to high on your oven. Place the cookie sheet on a rack in the center of the oven. Watch the kebabs closely, they should be ready to flip after about 5-7 minutes, but it really depends on your desired 'charring'. Using tongs, flip the kebabs over and continue to broil until the veggies look crispy and tender.

Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Leftover "Grilled" veggies are great on a salad, as a pizza topping or in a hot, cheesy panini.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis